Thanks for all the suggestions guy. In the end I think it was just a
positioning issue. I've angled the bars slightly more downward and raised
them up a bit and it's improved it a lot. It's still not as comfortable as
the dirt drops or noodles were for me, but better than I had originally.
I'm considering thicker cork grips to increase the surface area as well.
Overall things have improved though!