Yep, I've also got the OD crank. I'm glad to hear you've gotten it to work, but
my LBS has not been able to tame it. Aside from that, I really do hate having
to use an FD on the trail and I get the sense that the simplified shifting will
push me to improve my climbing ability instead of giving up and walking after a
missed shift. I'm also having problems with chain rub on the tire when in the
small chainring, largest sprocket combo. I don't doubt that it can be done, but
I'm not trying to win this fight anymore.

 I bet the boost (148mm rear) spacing on the new Jones Plus will solve all
these dilemmas, such is the cost of being an early adopter.