That's true about the vibration.

One other way of gauging resistance is to note the perceived effort it
takes to sustain any given speed say 15 mph.

I've been riding supple tires since late 2007 but one metric that I noticed
right away when I switched from 700x28 Conti UltraGatorskins to Grand Bois
Cypress 700x30(labeled, 32ish inflated) was that the amount of effort it
took to sustain 20+ mph was much less, and the ride was better to boot.
And this was even with the GB aired up to the max sidewall PSI of 85.  If I
knew then what I know now I would put less air in them.

Of course the Gatorskin is one of the heavest rolling slick tires made, so
YMMV.