Interesting tread... and I am glad so many listmembers enjoy their Compass
tires as much as we do. (We developed them for our own bikes, after all.)

I'd like to clarify a few things about the TPI (threads per inch) of the
Compass tires. The Extralight models actually use the thinnest casing
fibers that Panaracer makes. If packed tightly and measured the "Italian
way", these would result in 360 TPI casings. However, by using the same
thin fibers, but weaving them a bit looser, you get an even suppler casing,
but of course, the TPI is lower. More on the subject is here:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/tpi-and-tire-performance/

There is a lot that goes into making supple tires, and like so many things,
it's hard to put that into a single number. It's like "How do you make a
great-riding frame?" In the end, you go by experience - if many experienced
riders tell you that a certain frame is great, it probably is. The same
applies to tires.

As a final note, if you want to compare the performance of tires, you have
to do it on the same bike. With different bikes, small things like
aerodynamics (if your stem is just 20 mm lower, your wind resistance is
about 5% lower) or the frame flex characteristics of the frame (what we
call "planing") will affect the speeds you can achieve on the road, so even
if your measurements are accurate (you need a lot of repeats to reduce the
noise in the data), you may not be measuring tire performance. That said,
the Challenge tires mentioned by one poster are very nice, too, and in our
performance testing, were about equal to the standard Grand Bois/Compass
casings.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com