Bill, I'm not recommending that you do anything.
But here are two different bikes with two different riding positions.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/F%20Moser/aaaP6140002.jpg>

up high over the pedals, strongly leaning forward (on core muscles,
hopefully), riding on the ball of my feet, and need shoes with good shanks
so i don't strain my arches.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Viner/aaaPB160006.jpg>

sit behind the pedals and down a bit, arches of feet centered over axles of
long pedals, doesn't matter what I wear for shoes, but also have the
ability to move my feet forward on the pedals.

People are so big on alternate hand positions.

Is there something wrong with alternate feet positions?  I've ridden 10,000
mi with my feet centered on pedals, and I like it.