Jumping in here pretty late...

'If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as
a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather
than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a
period of time cease to react at all.' - Yogi Bhajan

But if you do actually want to react, :), here are some responses I'd
have at hand:

* Where do you put your tent and sleeping bag?
* How do you carry groceries on that?
* What do you do with that bike when you run out of pavement?
* Do you like looking like a skunk? (if your own bike has fenders)
* How long do you think that bike will last?
* How can you ride that thing without any suspension? (non-riv-like,
but apropos)
* What's the widest tire you can fit in there?

Riv bikes address a different set of "problems" than racy bikes. For
any kind of bike, you can easily "insult" other kinds of bikes as
failing to address the concerns your bike does address.

Photography provides an excellent metaphor for trade-offs. It's
impossible to create The Perfect Camera for All Situations, because
physics. You cannot have an all-range zoom camera with wide aperture
at all focal lengths that you can carry in your pocket. It's just not
possible. Everything in life involves trade-offs, and it's impossible
to create a thing that addresses all needs, all the time.

I just recently became a riv owner, but I've been lusting after them
for quite a while. My first bike (when I took up cycling again in
2010) was a hybrid bike. People may think that Hawaii is perfect for
cycling, but the infrastructure really is not up to grade (so to
speak). Consequently, I ride routes which are away from the cars as
much as possible. I very quickly learned that my aluminum, skinny
tired (fatter than "race" but still skinny) bike was NOT good for the
riding I was doing. I jumped in the other direction for my next bike
and got a trek 29er hardtail. This was great for riding
anywhere/everywhere but was really more than I needed, too heavy and
not suited to carrying anything, and I wasn't really doing "mountain
biking". There were a few more bikes in the stream before my current
Appaloosa, but the point is that every bike addresses some needs and
not others, and it's too easy to find fault with any bike based on the
needs addressed by another kind of bike. Riv hits the points I need
for my bike, and the riding I do, but it would be pointless for me to
tell somebody else to get one, until I really knew what kind of riding
they're going to do (which very likely is different than what kind of
riding they think they want to do).

cheerios