I have built up a strong aerobic base over the years. Look into Maffetone
to learn how to build up a solid aerobic base.
http://www.amazon.com/Maffetone-Method-Holistic-Low-Stress-Exceptional/dp/0071343318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461688806&sr=8-1&keywords=maffetone

But a good rule of thumb is to ride so you can have an easy conversation.
Always. For three months. Don't exert yourself more than that. You will
find that you go faster with the same effort. After that 3 months, then
some occasional sprints are fine, but in general you won't need them.