Lynne makes a good point, and diseases like Lyme can be hard to identify
and affect people to all different degrees. Not sure where you are from,
but around here it is sadly an all too common occurrence.

You mention both your rides are drop bar configurations. I might suggest a
bar like the Albatross with a somewhat more upright position on one of your
bikes. If your rides are starting out energetically then bogging down, you
may be leaving the gate too fast, even unconsciously. I recommend the
change of bars mostly as a psychological aid. I think the way our bicycles
are set up can affect the approach to riding, and being more upright can
slow you down not just aerodynamically. It affords a bit more opportunity
to be aware of the journey itself. Might also make the slower toodles with
your wife's commute more fun. Could be an interesting experiment.

Assuming no underlying health issues, hitting the big 5-0 should not have a
huge impact on your energy levels with this mileage. However, with your
wife's slow commute added in, and your flagging a bit toward the end of
rides, you are probably spending as much time in the saddle as a Cat 4
racer in training, and I would say it is possible you might be overdoing
it, at least mentally. I would  keep track of ride times as opposed to
mileage for a couple of weeks, and see where that falls. Based on this, I
would suggest maybe do the longer ride every other week, with at least one
of these a month relatively flat if possible, and try 3 days of half
commuting and 2 full, and knock out the restaurant ride for a while. Taking
a couple of days off from all riding now and then can also be helpful.
Unless you have just finished a major century or brevet, daily riding for
commuting and pleasure should rarely leave you "feeling like trash." Aside
from an occasional bout of laziness, it should generally leave you ready
and eager for another two-wheeled adventure the following day.

As for not wanting to do a "diet" I have news for you, you are already on a
diet, unless you are dead. Sometimes it is worthwhile to experiment with
how certain categories of food might affect mood or physical energy levels.
Many people, athletes or not, have found it to be beneficial, with no
sacrifice to their love and enjoyment of food. A diet does not necessarily
mean deprivation. That is almost like people thinking that someone who
bikes to work is deprived/depraved and is not doing so voluntarily, but
under government edict or medical advice.