I think I recently posted a link to the remarks of an ex pro who slammed
the marketing and said that the peloton is really no better off with them.

Having ridden cable disks on road many a mile, as well as all the kinds of
rim brakes, I can say confidently that, in my own experience, they don't
add any benefit in dry conditions -- and I've ridden in the wet enough to
know that, at least I, prefer the disadvantages of rim brakes in occasional
wet ("occasional" -- if I rode pavement regularly in the rain, I'd want
disk or drum or coaster) than the complication, weight, and fork-altering
qualities of disks. Again, these are my opinions, but it takes only a
single negative instance to refute a universal affirmation.

The best performing brakes I've ever, ever used were IRD wide profiles with
salmon pads set up with Tektro drop levers by Rivendell -- more power, more
modulation, and best feel of any other. (The worst: a. Mafac cantis, with
salmons, both the regular and longer armed tandem version, pulled seriatim
by Mafac levers and then by Shimano aero levers: nothing I or one shop
could do would make those things work well. Even worse: original issue
*Road* BB7s, even with 180 mm front disk, but these have been greatly
improved, I hear.)

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Mark Reimer <marknrei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The big push for discs is because they work better, period. Some people
> are happy to have brakes that work 'well enough'. Like I said before, if I
> always rode in fair weather, I too wouldn't care about having discs. But if
> you ride in snow, rain, wet mud, swampy terrain, etc, it becomes very
> obvious, very quickly, how rim brakes fall short.
>
> I agree re: aesthetics. Canti's and centre-pulls look SO good to me. And
> CX racing bikes with wide-hanging canti's...so euro-pro!
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Garth <garth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>     Mechanics aside ..... disc brakes are just plain aesthetically
>> unappealing :)   I can't use any brake lever I want to either, and you have
>> to dish the front wheel.... stupid stuff like this ... goes on and on.
>> On this I'm happily a  s n o b !
>>
>>   I wouldn't expect Riv to add disc brakes any more than I'd expect low
>> trail frames. I don't expect Ferrari to make station wagons either ;)
>>
>> There's plenty of willing bike manufactures out there for the
>> i-this/that/andtheother crowd who has to have the latest thing.  As for wet
>> braking performance and wear, they could also just make better rims.  Hark
>> ! ... there's a novel idea, improve upon what you're already offering.
>>
>>    What's the big push for discs anyways ?  Follow the money ... always
>> follow the money .
>>
>> --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.* *(The cross stands motionless while the
world revolves.) *Carthusian motto

*It is *we *who change; *He* remains the same.* Eckhart

*Kinei hos eromenon.* (*It moves [all things] as the beloved.) *Aristotle