"Money trail" and "investment world" sure make this sound
big-time--conspiratorial, even! But then again, all bicycles and bicycle
parts cost money. It's not quite as simple as, "Hey, let's come up with
something completely different so we can make more money." The way our
economy is set up, combined with the enormous inputs of energy, basically
requires us to make more and more stuff to sell and buy. Everything is
continually expected to rise, and as long as there is 1. the flow of cheap
to produce energy, 2. a debt load that is in proportion to what can
reasonably be expected to be produced and earned in the future, and 3. a
working force that can afford the products being churned out, everything is
hunky dory. Which basically describes the 1950s and 60s in the U.S.
Unfortunately for us, none of these conditions applies any longer. (The
price of oil may be cheap right now, but not the price to retrieve it from
the earth, which is what matters. The price is low because the workers are
being squeezed, which sends the economy down, and the need for oil drops,
etc. Until one day, the "recovery" part of the cycle just doesn't happen.)

Again, the interesting angle to me in Grant's piece is not this brake is
better than that brake, but the increasing complexity of bicycles, and the
issue of diminishing marginal returns. Which is also related to energy
inputs. The more energy a society has at its disposal, the more complex it
will become. You can go from there to Tainter's The Collapse of Complex
Societies. In other words, disc brakes = Apocalypse. Please brake
responsibly.