On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 9:30:44 AM UTC-7, Mark Reimer wrote:

> The big push for discs is because they work better, period. Some people
> are happy to have brakes that work 'well enough'. Like I said before, if I
> always rode in fair weather, I too wouldn't care about having discs. But if
> you ride in snow, rain, wet mud, swampy terrain, etc, it becomes very
> obvious, very quickly, how rim brakes fall short.

I disagree that the big push for discs is because they work better. Discs
are being pushed simply because manufacturers need something new and
different to sell in this stagnate market. You, I and most people on this
Google group aren't the majority of the customers for the bicycle industry.
Make no mistake – we are the tiny minority of cycling nuts (I wear that
badge with pride). The majority of cycling industry customers aren't
pushing their bicycles to the limit. In fact, I suspect the majority of
cycling industry customers won't be riding in the rain, and they won't be
touring with stuffed panniers. They are the fair weather cyclists whose
bikes probably won't even need a brake pad change while in their possession.

These customers buy stuff because it's novel and cool, but not necessarily
because it works better. A lot of them probably buy by bullet points – Disc
brakes? Check. Minimum dual 5" suspension? Check. 27.5" wheels? Check.
Wheels that can save 5 seconds off a 40-km time trial? Check. Now, there's
nothing wrong with that, but let's not fool ourselves by claiming that disc
brakes are pushed because they work better. Indeed, manufacturers won't be
bothered with disc brakes, if the target market only consists of people who
can functionally benefit from them. And yes, I'm an all-weather commuter
(albeit in Northern CA) who has two disc-equipped bikes, so I'm
demonstrably not anti-disc.