To those people who have tried Ebikes only one thing I would mention &  that is
that not all systems work the same AND in only the last couple years most
systems have improved measurably.
I don't have any real knowledge of this unfortunately,  beyond my recent online
research on the subject,  there's a local shop that only sells Ebikes and I do
intend to get over there and try some out.
That said, some systems are like a throttle pull & go! Others newer systems are
really just assistances, with the amount of assistance set by situation.
Riding on a flat or downhill? Dial the assist back; going up hill or gotta
boggie? Crank it up.
Should Ebike riders join normal club rides!? Wow, no I don't think so! I
personally would feel weird doing that.  E assist shouldn't be used to somehow
make you feel like Greg Lemond.