re: squeal on brazed-on centerpulls:

Dear Steve,

In my experience, it is related to the amount of slop in the pivot and how
much toe-in is required to offset that slop. Misalignment of the brakes
make setup harder, too.

The MAFAC brakes had a lot of play in their pivots--the plastic bushings
were worse than the brass ones given the deformation under load, but harder
to set up given that you have to offset the extra deformation when toeing
the brakes in.

Once toed-in appropriately they all seem to play well. My Alex Singer was
toed-in by the builder, and never made a peep; my René Herse brakes howled
until I (who assembled the bike) took a crescent wrench to the arms. My
brother's Kelpie (Dia-Compe 610s) required no modification at all to be
silent.

The Paul brakes have a fair bit of play in their adjustable pivots, and
required an exaggerated toe-in to (mostly) eliminate it. The sticky Salmon
pads don't help (but improve ultimate braking capacity).

The Compass brakes have less play in the pivots than do any of the MAFAC,
Paul, or Dia-Compe/Weinmann brakes I've had to mess with, and, assuming the
pivots are properly brazed (the tolerances are tight for brazed-on
centerpulls vs a cantilever brake), they don't squeal. The two Boulder
Bicycle centerpull setups with which I've been directly involved were
silent out of the box, but neither required any work to get the pads
parallel to the rim under hard braking, either. Toe-in adjustments on any
of the historical/repro brakes is a hassle--filing the mounting washers or
cold-setting the arms--but results in a quiet brake, eventually. I am on
the fence whether it is worth it vs a properly set up cantilever. For
short- and medium-reach systems, they're a (big) improvement. For the long
reach brakes, brazed-on centerpulls are better than their dual-pivot
competition, but vs a cantilever? It is a hard call.

Best Regards,

Will

William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO