Masmojo,

You are entitled to not-use zipties whenever you choose to not-use them.
 To paraphrase Yogi Berra:  "If people don't want to use zipties, nobody's
going to stop them".  Link to original Yogi Berra quote
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/y/yogiberra447736.html>

The place you or Anton lose me is when you tell other people to stop using
something that they like using.  Maybe you and Anton just didn't mean what
you said, but when you said "I don't condone it" and Anton said "please
please don't use zipties", that's where I politely and respectfully
recommend that you mind your own business.  On these boards, it's perfectly
fine to say that you use something and why you like it.  It's perfectly
fine to say why you don't use something.  It's fine to say "I don't
recommend using such and such and here's why".  It's fine to say "I won't
use that" and not give any reason.  But, when you tell people that you
don't condone me using something, or when Anton begs me to stop using
something that I like, I say "stay in your lane".  I will use what I like.
 If you want to educate me about things that I'm overlooking because you
want me to change my mind about zipties, then by all means go ahead and
educate me.  I reject the assertion that zipties are solely intended for
temporary applications.  People use zipties for cable management on their
solar panels for 20 years plus.  They don't die from UV, they don't fail,
and that's not temporary.  If your only reason is you think zipties on a
Rivendell is a lowbrow hack, I already know about that reason.  If you want
to recommend another way for me to attach my Wald Basket to my Nitto Rack
that is cheaper, lighter, stronger, easier to install, easier to remove and
similarly recyclable, then by all means, educate me.  I'm not receptive to
people telling me to stop using a product with no compelling reason.