Bob asked:

"How often do you (or would you) actually lay eyes on the zip ties (rhyme
intended)? If they're visible it means the basket isn't being used much,
which in turn could mean that the basket might not be necessary at all"

Twice per ride if the basket is being used.  Continuously if the basket is
not being used on that ride.

If I carry stuff in my basket, 99% of the time the stuff goes into my
ShopSack bag, and then my ShopSack bag goes into the basket.  When I get
where I'm going, the ShopSack bag comes out of the basket and I park my
bike.  So, I'm looking at the basket and the 8 orange zip ties once when I
load it and once when I unload it.  The 1% of the time I'm not using my
ShopSack bag, it's a big singular item going in the basket, like a 12-pack.
 Still I see the 8 zipties twice per ride.

If I leave the basket empty for a ride, I see the 8 orange zip ties
continuously.  They are right there in front of me.

I think Bob's comment makes perfect sense if somebody was using their
basket to continuously carry cargo that is 'never' unloaded from the bike,
like a toolkit or a first aid kit or emergency rainclothes, etc.  If you
permenantly cover the zipties with cargo that is never unloaded, you lose
the chance to see failing zip ties.  If that's your use-case, then you'd
either have to deliberately look at them, like at the same time you do your
regular periodic safety check of your QR skewers and your brakes.

Bill Lindsay