FWIW in regard to chainring clearance you don't have to go to super long
stays in order to get this though. The original Stumpjumer is a great
example of design that had the clearance for both wide tires AND any crank
you wanted. In fact the original Stumpy came with TA cranks.  Why no one
else uses a design like this rather than insisting on the same ol' same ol'
design who knows but this just works.

http://bicycle.images.budgetbicyclectr.com//media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/270x270/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/p/specialized_stumpjumpersilver16_1.jpg
from here:
http://budgetbicyclectr.com/1982-specialized-stump-jumper-mountain-bicycle-22.html