Yes, definitely not a homage, certainly based in part on the pure
functionality of 80s mountain bikes. The vintage ones I've had (Canyon
Express, Miyata Ridge Runner, Mongoose) all had chainstay lengths of, off
the top of my head, 43-46cm, which is right around the touring bike
territory of the day. But if you have read Petersen's writing on the chain
stay thing, you'll know that they had to get special tubing drawn because
nobody makes, or ever made, chain stay tubing in these new lengths, which
are significantly longer than vintage mountain bike chainstays.

As far as tight turns, again, the designer specifically addresses the wider
turning radius for U turns, which was, to quote, who cares? The other
handling characteristics gained with the longer stays trump this and the
wheel hopping based on his functional goals for the bike's handling. To say
shortening the stays by a centimeter or two would result in a "better
handling" bicycle does not say anything, really.

I would be surprised if the Clem chainstay length goes down--looks like
most other frames are heading up toward Clem length territory.

I don't recall reading anything about chainring clearance being a factor in
the decision to build with longer stays. And heel clearance for panniers is
an ancillary benefit, not the primary reason for longer stays.

Even though this is the Internet, I'm not a bike designer. I've ridden lots
of bicycles, but so what. I just find it odd to argue that the Clem
chainstays should be shorter. In that case, probably a different bike is
the answer, and there are a few to choose from. Or, maybe Grant will
realize he is "90% there" and  rethink the extra long stays and shorten
them up on batch number 3 (he did shorten up the stays on the tandem, but
that's a different design brief). But I think they ride these prototypes
extensively, and from what he has written, he seems clear on what the
benefits are for the kind of bikes he wants to create. Now please excuse me
while I go try to pop a wheelie on my Clementine.

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:35:37 AM UTC-4, masmojo wrote:

> How long is too long!? The bike was made as a homage to or at least
> evolved from the idea of early 80's mountain bikes,  which had longer
> stays, steel forks, etc.

The thing is on your large, the chain stays could probably be 1 to 1.5