I'll gladly take the ability to run normal cranks with low-ish q-factor
compared to other bikes that fit large tires if the exchange is that tight
turns are an issue.
For chainstay length, pannier clearance is completely dependent on the user
(foot size and pedaling position). I'd certainly take a little longer than
necessary chainstay for pannier clearance, than one that is too short. On
my large Clem, I don't have to worry about clipping a rear pannier - that's
something I've never experienced on a bike, including using smaller
panniers on a touring bike that has longer chainstays than a typical bike.
For me, the chainstays are exactly what I want them to be.
David
Chicago