I really don't know the history of the Ocean Air/Mark's rack, but they
currently sell (out of stock) the Mark's rack in both "factory configured"
and "rambler mount," so your work there is not yet done. Just from reading
the post linked to in the product description, it seems they made the mods
because they have the fork crown mounts on the Rambler they sell, and they
like the rack and wanted to customize it for their bike. Hard to be certain
from photo shown, but it also would appear that the Paul Racer brakes that
their bikes come with could be running some interference with the standard
"factory configured" mounting. But it sounds like you may have found more
of a back story there.

If you read the thread, the original poster admitted the title of the
thread was misleading.

Yes, the Clementine has fork and crown eyelets, though the struts needed
some bending.

I've also had a Mark's rack for I guess about ten years, moving it as
needed from bike to bike, front to back. Currently it supports a bag in
front of my Kuwahara. Not visible in the pic I could find, but the bag
straps are looped over the handlebar, and the bag is zip-tied to the rack
in two spots, which should keep catastrophe at a minimum. It also probably
depends on where on the wheel the arc of the rack would fall--if the rack
is mounted very high, with struts to the fender, I imagine the possibility
of a total front wheel lock is greater. Not that you would want to
calculate that and consider it a safety check! (I include the photo of the
bag on the Nishiki's Pletscher rack to demonstrate that perhaps I am more
cavalier about racks than some--though that is a rear set-up).

There are gazillions of front racks sold with similar 3-point diving board
attachment systems. For instance, this aluminum rack rated at 22 pounds
from REI:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1ogWd_Ehn7Y/V2pu_J02MbI/AAAAAAAAHAw/yWaVpcWAPtgv3SGZmzinLUU4nlJPEiVSwCLcB/s1600/woodrup.JPG>
https://www.rei.com/product/852184/racktime-top-it-front-bike-rack

Here is what REI says about racks:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-bags-racks.html

 Note the safety instructions (ie, none whatsoever). I would hazard a guess
that REI sells a few more three-point attachment racks with "junk" diving
boards that Rivendell. Not sure if they have a forum you can join. Hope
your new rack configuration works well.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-01DXJkSDrRU/V2pvDD4P-MI/AAAAAAAAHA4/jiGPh3jJMX8n76-QSAtzlWyYI5fiImjUACLcB/s1600/Nishiki%2Bin%2Bsnow.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mQvsKR7LN34/V2puyxveDqI/AAAAAAAAHAo/Z2gQ-vvFadwcyvcUvWf5Ioirw5AxOOyGACLcB/s1600/kuwahara%2Bwith%2Bmarks.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Syasj7Bk9AQ/V2puv9CsgqI/AAAAAAAAHAg/9VuKg39uTCkboDOTMj0EUdkrkHZdh-MVQCLcB/s1600/clem%2Brack.JPG>

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 12:40:42 AM UTC-4, Northof49ncold wrote:

> BTW, the subject of the thread is tang bolts coming loose  [Actually
> "Mark's/M18 Failures?" Which brought me here although the tang bolts figure
> in there. Other posters mentioned breakages long before me]

 I have nothing but the utmost respect for Grant and Riv (regardless of my
rant) but find it strange that a wee little outfit like Ocean Air Cycles in
Ventura CA recognized this obvious weakness years ago and addressed it with
fork crown mounts ie a 4-point connection.  I noticed Surly's 8 and 24 pack
racks -- 4-pointers again -- but was concerned about actually mounting it
on a non-Surly fork that doesn't have matching eyelets, especially on the
crown. How did you rig it on your Clementine? Does that bike have fork and
crown eyelets?

I would just like the industry to own up to the perils of a 3-point mount
and state the maximum payloads that work in the real world. Riv does that
but doesn't go the one step further and adopt a 4-point mount like Ocean
Air uses. Likely due to a small market, aesthetics etc.