Jon,

First of all, congratulations on your double Sam purchase.  If you and your
wife have not completely fallen in love with the bikes already... you will!
 I bought my orange canti-Sam new-to-me on craigslist.  It came with
Albatross bars wrapped with leather Brooks tape (cream-colored... or so I
thought), bar end shifters and Paul mountain levers
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/129545862@N03/16372487184/in/dateposted-public/).

 Felt great for cruising around unracing but I found that I was riding the
fronts of the bars a lot seeking a little more aggressive riding position.
 I also noticed that the bar end shifters occasionally hit my knees if I
wasn't careful.  I had once had mustache bars on a Surly Cross Check and
loved them.  This lead me to bite the bullet and buy Albastache bars.  It
was a decent sized investment.  The Albastache purchase required buying a
new 26.0 stem that is 3cm shorter than the Albatross stem, new road levers
(bummed to let go of the Pauls) and new cables.  Roughly $250.  Final
assessment... totally worth it!  I love this set up
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/129545862@N03/24621117222/in/dateposted-public/
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129545862@N03/17290439362/in/dateposted-public/)!
 It doesn't provide as upright position as the Albatross does but it does
provide enough for me.  I love the more aggressive riding position that
gives me all the forward lean I want from a bar (less than drops).

I've kept the Albatross bars, Paul levers and 25.4 stem in case I ever want
to change things up again but the Albastache is here to stay for the
foreseeable future.  Even better than my old mustache bars.  Great on road,
great on trails.  The only other bars I'd consider now are the Choco Norm
which seems to provide the forward position as well as a more upright
position than the Albastache.  I'd probably have to use thumbies so my
knees don't hit bar ends.  As for the leather tape, I removed the
creme-colored Brooks tape only to find out it was burgundy tape that had
faded!  I transferred my honey Brooks tape from another bike to match my
saddle.  This is the third bike I've had this tape on.  It has held up
beautifully and has even been torn in a crash.  Since it only cut it
halfway through, I reinforced it with Gorilla tape underneath and rewrapped
it in the other direction so the cut was covered.  Still going strong for 6
or 7 years and comfy.  I just use saddle goop on it occassionally
(http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/goo13-big.htm).

Enjoy your Sams.
John