I have roughly a dozen bikes and have clipless pedals on only one - a custom
Mercian built with modern Campy components. One bike has regular old 2-sided
city pedals with no clips or straps - I use it for shopping and getting around
in the city. All the rest have old school toe clip & strap pedals, and that
includes my main commuting bike. That one has 80s vintage Specialized touring
pedals which are a blend of quill and platform pedals. The others are racing
quill pedals like Campy Record SL or MKS Sylvan or similar.

I have never had trouble getting in or out of toe clip pedals - in fact, I tend
to have more problems with clipless. If the cleat on the clipless pedals
doesn't line up just right it's likely your foot slips off and you end up with
banged up shins or worse. But I can get moving on toe clip pedals safely even
if I have a momentary problem flipping the pedal up.

I sometimes use slotted cleat shoes, but I don't cinch the straps super snug.
Mostly I ride in flat soled touring shoes. And I like that I can use regular
street shoes or sneakers if I wish to.

Kyle Brooks
Akron OH
The Retrogrouch Blog