Choice is a good thing, and resistance to change isn't always stubbornness.
 Tried a bunch of platform pedals before settling on my preferences, which
are different for different bikes.  There's a thread on BFC&V where a guy
reported falling over twice on his toe-clips/straps and was asking for
suggestions. Familiar to the culture on that forum, wedging others into
person pegs is almost a disease. I've never fallen over with clips, but
shoes with good ingress/egress is important.   My buddy who has been
preaching clipless to me for 30 years, I've seen him fall over twice in
that long time.  His daughter rides clipless with him on their tandem, but
this year she built up her Shogun frankenbike.  It came out gorgeous and
she opted for AEST platforms from Toronto Cycles, which are a good narrow
choice for the low BB.