On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Bill M. <bmenn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just a side note - one thing I like about SRAM is that their road and
> mountain parts play nicely with each other.
>
> Bill
> Stockton, CA

Bill-

That was true for 10-speed SRAM; both their road and MTB derailleurs used
their "Exact Actuation" cable pull ratio so you could mix and match.

Unfortunately, SRAM's 11-speed (and now 12-speed) MTB systems use a new
"X-Actuation" ratio that makes them incompatible with their 11-speed Road
systems (which still use the Exact Actuation ratio).

Tim-

As others have pointed out, 3 x 10 indexed Shimano is completely possible.
You can use the 7900 downtube shifters with a 9-speed MTB long-cage RD;
these parts all use Shimano's "SIS" ratio so they're compatible.

On my Riv Road Std, I use the 7900 bar-ends with a 9-speeed XT M772 RD, and
they index a 10-speed 11-32 cassette perfectly while taking up enough chain
for my 52/42/30 Campy triple crank.

Don't get talked into 3 x 9 bar-ends (which are great if you like them) if
you really want 10-speed downtube shifters.  FYI, if you want to have both
friction and index possibilities, find a set of 7800 shifters.  The 7900
shifters are index-only for the rear.

Best of luck,
Tim