"along the concept of Community Supported Agriculture. I recall Riv having
tried something along these lines as a one-time thing, but not a formal
program. I wonder how that went."

the one-time-thing I recall was a bit of a cash-flow pickle.  They needed a
bunch of quick cash to pay for a 100 bike order.  They sold $3000 store
credits for $2500, which is pretty expensive cash.  Now I think they have
line-of-credit arrangements so they'll never have to do that again.  The
fact is, they pay something for line of credit money.  The rate is low
because interest rates are really low, and they pay nothing if they aren't
using it.  If there was a way for them to incentivize their customers to
invest in the business, that got them access to even cheaper cash than a
line of credit offers, that would be cool for them.

Bill