Thanks, All, you are too kind. It's fun for me to type out my thoughts for the
like-minded to read. I have zero real-life biking friends, so you all are
indispensable!

Yesterday was near disaster for the Bicycle Bus. My oldest bus kid is in 8th
grade and they don't come any sweeter. She was bringing up the rear as we
headed down the Hill That Would Make Cipollini Cry. A ways down I heard my son
call out to me, so I slowed and swiveled my head, trying not to lose control of
the giant front load in my abused Wald basket. There was L, in the street where
vehicles whiz by at 55 mph. The curb melted away and provided her a way back up
onto the sidewalk and we were once again on our way. But close to campus, I
noticed she was behaving oddly on her bike. When the sidewalk narrowed so that
we must walk the bikes, I waited up for her to ask what kind of shenanigans had
happened at the back of the bus. "I lost my brakes!" she cried.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I thought. It's like a quote.

Anyway, she continued, "And then this black piece of my shifter - it just FLEW
OFF - and I called after it, 'Wait, come back!!!' but it was gone. And then my
shifter wanted to be in 1 and I had to squeeze it tight the entire ride so it
would stay in gear. And that made it hard to also squeeze the brakes. But then
I noticed my brakes were no longer working. I was coming up on L [my little
son] and I didn't want to make him crash, so I veered off into the road just as
a big truck went by! I knew this bike was going to give me trouble. I looked at
it this morning and I said, 'You're going to give me trouble today, aren't
you?'."

Aghast, I said, YOU ARE NEVER RIDING THAT BIKE AGAIN OR I WILL HAVE 5
CORONARIES.

As I unloaded the Betty Foy, the kids all parked their bikes. L gave one final
exclamation that got my attention. "My front tire is flat!" she squealed.

No, I'm not kidding. Folks, you can't make this stuff up. So, I hugged her,
said a prayer of thanksgiving to Jesus and I texted her mother and told her
what had happened. I'm hoping and praying I never see that Schwinn again.

Today the Bicycle Bus was attended only by us. But we had so much fun because
strange weather is moving through our neck of the woods, and it is lovely. Big,
puffy cotton candy clouds floated over us. The sun left streaks of color in the
sky. Dark and heavy clouds cruised by swiftly, having not yet decided to pour
out their raindrops. And in the distance, hovering over our route was a
RAINBOW. The boys were so excited because this one looked to end right about
where the school would be. The boys have never given up hope of actually
reaching a rainbow and discovering there really might be a pot o' gold for them
there. The crossing guard near our house called out, "Save some gold for me!"
We wouldn't have, though, because we would have spent it all at the bike store
getting new bikes for the Bicycle Bus passengers. Rainbows are sneaky, and we
were eluded yet again, but that didn't detract from the joy of the pursuit nor
the fun of the ride.

And on a comical note, there is a goofy kid worth telling about. There is an
elementary school close to my house, and those kids let out at the time I'm
heading to get my kids at their school. This goofball kid, who I'd put at about
3rd grade, has gotten a new scooter. He has to take it down The Hill That Would
Make Cipollini Cry, which even I would never attempt. There are a pair of blond
brothers who do it every day on their scooters, and the goofball must be their
friend. They are now a trio. The brothers are way more street smart, as they've
been at it awhile. The goofball is a disaster. His scooter is pretty cool, with
big, fat, black tires, and he knows it. As I came behind him, he began chirping
about the splendor of his new scooter.  Then, he did exactly what comes
naturally to little boys with new wheels: "Race ya!" he called. He took up the
whole path and would unpredictably swerve this way and that. I was stuck behind
him, riding my brakes and looking on in amusement. He talked the entire way
down the hill, not that I could make a single word of it out. He was blithely
happy with himself, whatever he was chattering about, and I waved goodbye as he
turned right into his neighborhood. I caught him again today. "You again!" he
chirped. And then something about racing, and we started the whole experience
over again.

You can't make this stuff up.
Leah