I love how much great feedback we receive from this group.  Those POC
helmets are really nice.  I saw someone had one on the train and it was a
great design.  I also liked the Bell Zepher and Giro Aspect helmets, too.
Almost pulled the trigger on one of those but, alas, going from free to
$150-300 was a little hard for me to grasp this time around (and, I
probably would have needed to wear it when letting my wife know how much it
cost).  Bell's designs are very nice but looked huge on me.  Giro, as
usual, were a nice comfortable fit.  As Will said, they often go on sale.
 One of my favorite helmets in the past was a Giro Hex.  Tried them this
time and ended up going with a Giro Xar in hi-vis yellow/green.  Typical
basic zoomy-looking helmet but it was very comfortable and under $50 on
sale.  Guess I'll have another 5-10 years to work up to a POC or Zepher.  I
also like supporting Bell and Giro since several of my past students design
for them (Specialized, too).

Also, I tried washing that grungy Specialized in the dishwasher.  Still
pretty grungy but I think the dirt and grime is now sanitized.  Keeping it
around as a loaner and back up.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
John