David,  I have both the original thumbies from 1983 and some later 1985
XC models, these have a fairing on the mount and the ends are rubber
coated, very nice !  I also have both the Sprint and Superbe DT ones.

    Interestingly, the thumb ones have a 20mm ratchet inside, the DT ones
are about 16.5mm.  I always have preferred the thumb shifter feel, not the
shape but the mechanism feels different to me, maybe because it is larger.

    I was assuming the Silver 2 would use the 20mm ratchet of the original
w/metal washer on top but it appears to use the smaller DT sized ratchet,
so that explains the plastic further , it's the same as the current Silver
shifters.

   I don't have my ST bar ends anymore, destroyed in a crash and bike taken
by insurance co. long ago .......  I suspect they too had the larger 20mm
ratchet and ST used it for the thumbies. Just a guess, someone with a bar
end could measure theirs if they are curious.