"Would it be a mistake to try and use this shifter for a 10speed rear
cassette? "

Now that's an interesting question.  My experience with "10 speeds" is
limited to 2 x 5 drivetrains.  BUT there are people friction shifting 10
speed cogs, & others not liking friction on 8 or 9.  The ratchet may give
enough feedback to work with 10.  With the old BarCons that I've used, the
ratchet gave me decent feedback on "where I was" yet allowed fine
adjustment.  Hopefully the S2s will be in that general range.

My 8 speed Ultegras on Paul's thumbies are getting a bit dodgy so I can't
wait for the S2s.

dougP