On 11/09/2016 10:56 PM, Eric Norris wrote:
I had very good results cutting a mud flap from a piece of rubber gasket material that I bought at the local Ace Hardware store. They had the material in a sort of rust red that IMHO looks much nicer than black. I made a template out of cardboard, adjusted for proper look and fit, then transferred the outline to the gasket material and carefully cut with a pair of sharp scissors. Finished it off by adding a small, retro-look reflector on the bottom.

I did that, following directions in a BQ article. The flap looked great, but failed fairly soon. The problem was that when I had a flat up front, I would remove the wheel and propped up the bike against a tree or fence resting the weight of the front on the bottom of the fender. The rubber flap bent back with the weight of the bike, and after doing this a couple of times the rubber cracked and the flap tore off. It looked great, though, and really matched the color of the bike very well.