Patrick,

So, back to the gadgets. :)   Not shown in the picture was the Garmin 820
on the stem, though it was turned off.  There is also a QuadLock mount on
the bar just in front of that for my iPhone.  For now, I only use that for
the countdown timer to end my session.  My last rides before the accident
had been recording simultaneous data from the Garmin and the WahooFitness
app.  The Tickr X HR strap sends both bluetooth and ANT+ as does the
current Blue SC sensor.  If you look closely at the last picture I posted,
you can just about make out the sensor.

At the slow speeds I'm doing now, I barely break a sweat, just motion, no
speed at all yet.  The tire was barely touching the trainer, almost free
wheeling.  I have now tightened it up for future rides, but have not
plugged in the controller yet.  I won't do that until I start more strength
training in therapy.

I remember MAF well.  I promoted it on Barefoot Ted's minimal running list
way back in 2009-10.  I, and I think Tuck also, guessed it was not as
effective for older adults.  I ended up switching to a more lenient HR
method, what felt comfortable.  My rest/max HR at the time was 60/197.  I
haven't tested max in many years.  I'm 52 now and have no aspirations of
ever competing, just staying as healthy as possible.  Before my ACL
accident, average HR on a ride was usually in the 130-140 range with max HR
usually in the 150-170 range.  Rides were under an hour, usually 30-45
minutes.  It was enough to be comfortable without pushing too hard, not
much for hills on those rides either, certainly nothing like what you
have.  I had planned to just slowly build range and ability without pushing
it too hard, still do once I get back to where I was.  I had been reading
Friel's Fast After 50 and had thought of trying some of those ideas, but
was only part when through it and then stopped after the accident.  I may

For now, going back to following a more strict MAF method might be
beneficial, especially during my recovery phase, so a max of 123 (180-52 =
128 and then -5 for recovery).  It might be -10, but it's been a while
since I reviewed the method.  Phil was going to have an app also, but it
has been 'coming soon' for quite a long time now.  Once I get there, I can
use the MAF tests to let me know when I plateau and can resume going by
feel.  IIRC, you were pushing for that method way back when.  It seems
funny that we have kind of switched places a bit.  :)  Failing memories are
not helping the recall on the specifics, though, so I could have this
incorrectly.

Thanks for the reminder.

Tim