John,

I own and have ridden B17's, a Rivet Pearl Ti and an
first-year-of-production SA.  They are quite different, and for me suit
different purposes .

The Rivet is narrow through the waist and nose, which eliminates a lot of
thigh rub, but also makes it ride like a narrower saddle than the others
though they measure the same at the widest point.  For me, that was great
for my road/sport bike with bars a bit below the saddle, but doesn't work
for me at all on a bike with something like Albatross bars and an upright
position.  I rode the Pearl happily for several years though I'm trying
something very different right now on the road bike (an SMP).

On the road bike the wider nose of a B17 gets in my way, but sitting more
upright that becomes less of a problem.  I have one on my Clem (actually a
Flyer at the moment) and it's pretty comfortable there.  I also slot the
center of my Brookses and lace the skirts in tight, I can't ride one
unmodified.

As delivered the SA was horrible for thigh rub, so it didn't take long for
me to drill and lace mine.  It's made to fit like a hammock, so I can't
ride it at all on the road bike, too much nose pressure.  Sitting very
upright it became very comfortable for me.  The leather stretched a lot but
finally stabilized.  Unfortunately I set it too far back on a seatpost with
a short clamp, and the result was bent rails.  After bending the rails back
twice I have now retired the saddle.  The are supposed to have improved the
rails since mine was made, I can't vouch for that personally.

So, IMO, choose carefully based on your use and position on the bike -
forward lean and pelvis rolled forward => Rivet, upright => SA.  Either way
don't be afraid to carve or lace to suit.

Bill
Stockton, CA