Thanks for this article, Jan. It definitely speaks to my experience,
although CPs are not my chosen rim brakes. I will hopefully have a chance
to test out some CPs sometime soon.

My stable at the moment consists a Hillborne and a Surly Krampus--two very
different bikes, indeed. On the Hillborne I use (admittedly cheap but quite
functional when set up correctly) Tektro cr720s with Koolstop pads and
Shimano Tiagra levers. I am *very* happy with the stopping power and
modulation of the system. As a sidenote, the same brakes with MTB-style
Tektro levers were far from optimal. The straddle cables were set up
similarly and I had the correct levers based on the needed pull. It's a
mystery to me.

Getting to the point of my post, on the Krampus, I have XT hydraulic discs,
and the first time I took it on the trail I nearly rocketed over the
handlebars on a descent because of the stopping power. I've since learned
that there is plenty of modulation available with the hydros, but it takes
much less force and more of a nuanced "feel" to find the sweet spot for
each braking scenario. I can't imagine a time when I would need hydraulic
discs on a road/gravel bike like my Hillborne--the cantis are more than
adequate, and I imagine that nice CPs would be even better--but I'm
thankful for their existence on my Krampus. Overall, It's a sour apples
(cantis) to sweet oranges (hydros) comparison--both of which have myriad
culinary uses, of course--and something that everyone should experience at
some point, if only on a demo or loaner bike.

Bob K. in Baltimore