While I could go on a rant here about selling a "do it all" high end bike
in the year 2017 with only bottle cage, it is as it is for now and so
what.... so if you're gonna have just one cage you may as well maximize
it's capacity. That's about a 1.5L bottle.  The best one I have seen is the
BBB XL Fueltank, as it clamps around the top of the bottle, something the
Topeak one does not.  If you're gonna use that one make sure to strap it
down.  A bike frame is well suited to carry heavy things like water and
that's why permanent mounts are so worthwhile.

But again ....none of that can limit you. I remember touring as a teenager
with but one "regular" bottle, and that's all there was back then....and I
didn't think twice about it. I do have fond memories of stopping in a local
mom & pop store in a tiny Minnesota town and in their solitary sales fridge
were ice cold *glass bottles* of Gatorade(everything tastes better from a
glass bottle!!!)..... damm . . . I can still feel it going down today !  Of
course I was not riding across vast distances with no services/water, but
still, when you're a kid going even 20 miles can be pretty darn vast. If I
had been carrying everything I needed on the bike I would have never
stopped at that place and had a most memorable drink of my life..... so
there 'ya go.