Certainly one of the most sensitive places to have surgery! Having had 3
ankle surgeries over the years.

Wonderful frame, would have to spend a good bit of cash to get something
like that built these days. 700 conversion is certainly worth going to.
Modern brakes have much less flex.

As for wheels, modern rims with machined brake track (Mavic Open Pro, CR 18
for instance) would be preferred. I like Shimano hubs because they are easy
to rebuild and service from that period. Downside is finding a 120
freewheel hub built to a modern machined brake track rim. I'm sure there
are plenty of other excellent opinions.

Cheers
Bill in Roswell, GA