I've been very pleased with how well Compass extralights hold up off road,
in firmish dirt (even light sand) and gravel. With modern sealants for
thorns, I feel more confident with my Elk Passes on dirt than I used to
with beefier road tires like Kojaks. I agree, I'm happy to spend top dollar
for extralight tires, especially if they hold up as well as my Compasses
seem to do.

Speaking of very light tires: I had to replace a Furious Fred on the
Matthews recently due to a large cut*, and looked up the mileage on the
original pair. 2,404 to date, and the rear still has at least 1/2 height
little knoblets left! PDG for a 700C, 51 mm tire (33 mm outer width rims)
that weighs an honest 360 grams and that sees at least 1/3 of its miles on
pavement, often with a load!

* Perhaps a gravel cut, or cut by some similar large and sharp object, on
the edge of the tread. A nubbin of Orange Seal and dirt held air in place
for several months until I upped the pressure to 32 psi, and the higher
pressure blew out a geyser of OS. Fenders are good!