I put a set of Panaracer Col de la Vie 650bx38mm on my sister's bike.
Comfortable, not too heavy, easy on and off the rim, tan sidewalls for a
retro look, and a set goes for less than $50 shipped. She did get a flat on
one ride when a piece of glass got stuck between the treads then worked
itself through the casing, but tough to blame the tire for that. I still
consider it a good value tire in that size.