Patrick, those Lamy Safaris are nice pens and a smoking deal in my book.
When I was just getting my feet wet I found this site a good primer as a
newby:  https://www.bestfountainpen.com/

It allowed me to gain some knowledge and set a bar for quality.  Only later
did I go down the rabbit hole of youtube videos, magazines, and attendance
at the San Francisco Fountain Pen show which pretty much got me hooked on
vintage flex pens.

To bring this back to bicycles, two of my best friends/riding buddies are
also into pens (I think there is a bit of competition going on) and it has
been remarkable seeing how much the pen choices have paralleled our
interests in bikes in terms of who likes buying high end equipment that
requires little fuss (I'm raising my hand) and who likes to pull apart
their pens and tinker (the other two).  When I reach for one of my pens I
want it to be ready to write even if I do know how to maintain them if I
need to do a little work.    My friends get as much pleasure from tinkering
as they do writing it seems.  We all love to share and try out new inks.

The second pen I bought after a Parker Sonnet was this Waterman and I think
as a go to workhorse pen it is hard to beat for under $100.  I find myself
drawn back to it as my daily writer at work.  Smooth and consistent.  As in
all things, your preferences may differ as far as nib width, and intended
use, how it feels in your hand, etc.   The Montblanc Shakespeare Writers
Edition
<http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/landing-pages/william-shakespeare.html?&mid=787mzl36533&mkwid=sfv5YWVUz_dc&pcrid=156945474873&kword=montblanc%20shakespeare&match=e&plid=&gclid=CjwKEAjwlKLHBRDztKr6wMnRthMSJAALcT-sRSyRqzsS-5Op2CWpytFvd1dGRAkHt6bBq8rKheWPUxoCHInw_wcB>
is my most decadent pen and it writes like a dream.  Is it a better writer
than the Waterman?  Yes, but only marginally so.  As an English teacher and
lover of the Bard it was a special gift for myself and an instant heirloom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NJOLLC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005NJOLLC&linkCode=as2&tag=nohyptimman-20&linkId=57RORCFU2WPB2AO2

Finally, I will make a small plug for looking at the vintage flex pen
options.  They are unequivocally better than the modern attempts at making
a flexible nibbed pen and that's kind of sad because the people who crafted
these 100 year old nibs that flexed like a "wet noodle" are long gone.  But
in terms of tactile writing experience there is simply no substitute.  My
three vintage flex pens are my special occasion pens for penpal
correspondents and are just magical (if quirky) to write with.

Best to all,
Addison

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology <http://www.washoeschools.net/aact>

*“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”*

Educator: Professional Portfolio <http://renorambler.wix.com/portfolio>

Blogger: Reno Rambler <http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/>