Difficulty trying to fit big rides into my life validates my well being.
It's all that other stuff that keeps me well rounded so my rides have
become shorter and combined with other responsibilities or chores.

Shorter rides can be much more fulfilling too. Showing cycling to someone
else renews the things that make it so dear to all of us "committed"
riders.

We have a 20-something friend we met by chance at a friend's son's wedding
in VA who was new to the Pittsburgh. Recently relocated and taking a new
direction in her life in healthcare, drawn here sight unseen by the medical
and education infrastructure. My wife have taken her under wing. She
handling financial, social and vocational mentoring, including getting rid
of her car and maximizing public transportation. I've been guiding her
around town and showing her the necessaries  by bike.

Our tandem is the ideal mode by which to get outside my head after riding
the same way for a long time. It let the new stoker do a lot of looking
around and seeing how to manage traffic and other things apprehensive to
new riders. I forgot how infective riding is and how much joy can come from
the freedom to move yourself for fun and transportation.

My interest in a supple framed 650b project has smoldered for a few years.
I've read about each bike folks on the list get rolling and write about in
posts. This time I opted to spend my bike fund to get our friend a bike.
After some frustrating weeks scouring the web and other sources for
something in the right size, one of my shop contacts alerted me to
closeouts in odd sizes by one of his brands, so after some test riding of
others, tried one in her size that he ordered for another customer. It was
gold.

I do love my orange Rambouillet, and I'll keep riding it primarily for
years in trade for seeing someone else embrace and engage cycling. Sunday I
took our friend on her new bike on a ride from her house (actually lives
with one of the baristas from the coffee shop around the corner from our
house)  to see the city via bike routes, dedicated trails, lanes and paths.
I dropped her off and headed home with nearly 20 pounds of shopping from
the Strip District in my courier bag (bottle of Maggie's Farm La Revuelta
on the bottom) with 35 miles on the odometer and having spent the time
showing someone else how easily you can integrate biking, shopping, and
fun. Much more mentally rewarding than a long solo ride of the same
duration.

Very enjoyable to reinforce and support our friend's educational and
vocational decisions, buttressing those efforts and determination by
facilitating her cycling. It's been surprisingly insightful.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh