So, I absolutely love my Compass Barlow Pass extra light, 700x38s on my Hilsen.
I've been riding them for 2-2 1/2 years. I'm planning on riding from KC to
Phoenix in a couple of weeks. I'll be on pavement. I'm around 230-235 lbs (30
lbs too heavy currently) and I'll have some gear since I'll be camping some,
with hotels a couple nights per week. No cooking gear. I'll try to keep my load
down to 25-30 lbs. I know many people would never tour with such a "fragile"
tire, but I don't want to give them up. I would definitely carry an extra tire
(along with the usual tubes, patches, etc.) because I had to abandon PBP after
1000K due to a sidewall cut (I found out that tire boots simply will not hold a
Compass tire. I used 2 boots and paper money to boot it but still had 7 flats
over around 100K), so I wouldn't make that mistake again. I don't plan on any
gravel but wouldn't be afraid of some short sections and even an intentional
jaunt or two (although I've yet to develop much of an affinity for gravel.) Ok,
so, what's the group consensus? Compass for a fat guy on tour or not? Thanks!