I just noticed the rims -- very appealing, though I hear they require
yearly upkeep, like your old station hack.

The author, Tim Moore, of the very entertaining "Gironimo: Riding the Very
Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy", used NOS wooden rims on his period Pro bike,
and made his own brake pads out of wine bottle corks. Note that the rims
didn't give him problems, though many other components did.

I think wood rims would be very appealing on disc wheels.

Patrick Moore, who once really did briefly entertain the thought of buying
a pair of wooden rims when Gnashbar remaindered their stock 20+ years ago.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Minh <mgiangs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I think most of us would say this is a beautiful build, but it's also
> quintessentially Pudge :)
>
> I love the wood rims, but don't need a show bike so those actually scare
> me to death!
>
> You should get a little more interest if you separate it out.
>
> On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 2:19:50 PM UTC-4, Pudge wrote:
>>
>> OK, sound of crickets since I posted this suggests either (a) the bike is
>> of no interest to list members as built, or (b) the price is way too high.
>>
>> As to the former -- functionally, this bike is like a nearly new,
>> super-fancy step through Quickbeam.  It's not for mountainous areas, true,
>> but single speeds are FUN in appropriate areas.  It's a great bike.
>>
>> As to the latter problem, PLEASE feel free to make offers, including
>> aggressive offers or offers for less than the complete build -- I'd love to
>> find a list member who would give this bike the use it deserves.
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2017, at 4:23 PM, Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner) <
>> thomas.a...@skadden.com> wrote:
>>
>> *Warning: Long email, but the subject line and next paragraph basically
>> say it all.*
>>

>> OK, folks, the time has come once again to cull some bikes. First up is
>> my essentially new 59 cm Hunter Green Rivendell Wilbury.  Here's a pic:
>> https://flic.kr/p/H2Zb8R  There are many others, including a lot of
>> detail images, in this album:
>>
>> https://flickr.com/photos/37542512@N04/sets/72157631845152497
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2F37542512%40N04%2Fsets%2F72157631845152497&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHIonLWn4HAiwNI_NCDkEi8H7UgfA>
>>

>> I would prefer to sell this as a complete bike, and to provide some
>> incentive, I've set the asking price pretty low, compared to the actual and
>> replacement cost of the gorgeous frame and beautiful (and unusual, in some
>> cases unique) components.  I'm biased, of course, but I think any buyer who
>> appreciates this kind of bike will be thrilled with this unique example.
>>
>> I bought the frame/fork new from College Park Bicycles in Maryland -- it
>> was in the owner's private stash.  As list members know, a frame like this
>> can now only be obtained by ordering a custom from Rivendell, at about
>> $3,500 for the frameset alone.  This build has about 10 miles on it -- no
>> dings or scratches on the frame that I can find anywhere.
>>

>> I built this bike up from scratch.  It is an unusual, even quirky, build
>> -- a single speed drive train, with hand-built wheels using Italian wooden
>> rims.  I intentionally set out to make this bike as pretty as I could, with
>> much attention to every detail, but don't be deceived -- it is supremely
>> comfortable, and great fun to jump on and ride.  Here is a full parts
>> list.  Except as noted, all parts are NOS.
>>

>> Frame/fork/headset
>>
>> Rivendell Wilbury 59cm
>>
>> Bottom bracket

> [...]

*30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn,
and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10%
kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And
still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and
parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See
my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.*

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten