Clayton-
My experience with upright bars on my Riv was similar.  I tried Moustache
bars, which were great for around town riding but lacked enough comfortable
hand positions for long rides.  I felt the same lack of a drop position
meant I couldn't stretch out and put the power down.

I changed the staches out for Nitto B135 Randonneurs and I'm very happy.  I
use a Technomic stem and put the bar tops a tad above the saddle height
(which works with my moderate flexibility).

I like upright bars on trail- or commuter-oriented bikes, but for long
rides (>15 miles) I prefer drops.