I haven't even read the blahg yet but will say that, as a reformed
motorhead and perpetual mechanical tinkerer/hobbyist who found cycling as a
redemption from more destructive pastimes, I'll admit to being both very
intrigued by e-bikes and disgusted at the thought of seeing them on trails
and in the wild.  Fortunately, my local land management agencies got
proactive about this very early, and banned them from trails (over 99% of
the land in the county where I live is state or federally owned).

That doesn't mean I don't often think about building one out of a cheap and
un-used frame, for street riding for fun's sake.  Heck, I even think about
getting one of those cheap, loud, chinese gas motor kits.  I think it would
be a great way to teach my son some mechanical skills.

Sounds like it's a mute point, but here's why I personally would NEVER
consider buying a Rivendell e-bike:  When it comes to spending any
significant amount of money, I'm attracted only to things that have long or
indefinite lifespans, that won't become obsolete, that are "classic," and
that I can see myself wanting to own for the rest of my life.   That is a
Rivendell in a nutshell, to me.

Even if they weren't still in their infancy, I think the necessary electric
motor and battery technologies will continue to change and become obsolete.
  And besides, what do you do with the battery when it's worn out, even if
you can get a replacement?