I don't see Rivendell as the shop you'd think of to go buy an e-bike.
And I doubt that Riv would "put some bikes together with the latest
mid-drive motors with 5 levels of pedal-assist available".  A mid-drive
motor would wreck the aesthetics of the classic diamond frame that Riv
celebrates, and the frame needs to be designed around the big mid-drive
motor.
A wheel-motor kit, while a less-efficient e-bike design, seems more like
something Riv would do (as at least one listmember already has).  I could
see Riv using a "Roscoe tube" to frame the battery, but not using the big
TIG'ed plate required for a mid-drive.

I work part-time at a shop that is one of the biggest e-bike dealers in the
Midwest.  The shop's owner (3r-generation) embraced e-bikes early-on (about
5 years ago), and learned all the bugs and tricks.  So, customers drive in
from 5 hours away to buy from him, because he carries a decent line-up and
fully supports the e-bikes, electronics and all.
Many shops struggle with e-bikes due to the electronics.  Early e-bikes
definitely suffered from poor design and electrical glitches.
Now, our best-selling e-bike models are European imports from Kalkhoff and
Haibike, with the Bosch mid-drive kits.  Mid-drive seems to be the best
design, but it's ugly.  One benefit of mid-drive is that it only works as
pedal-assist; no throttle, no electric-only drive mode (aka moped).

Personally, I don't see myself using an e-bike any time soon.  But I agree
that they are here, and that they serve needs for some people.  For some,
they're a gateway to non-E cycling, and for others they're a way to keep
riding after they couldn't on their own.
I agree that some e-riders (most often those with throttle "e-mopeds") can
be irresponsible, riding too fast on cycle paths.
But I also agree that, if e-bikes are increasing ridership and facility
usage, that will result in more and better cycling accommodations for all
of us.