Alan,

Awesome questions! SS riding is a stunning freedom that is difficult to
explain, humbling to learn (let the bike teach you), and wondrous to
experience.

The simplest thing to do in your project is to set up your bike as a SS
with only one gear option. Ride it and learn for a year, and if you need
more gears, explore your options then. Here's why I say that:

The simple (one) answer is the QB and S1 have unique and brilliant
extended, sloped dropouts that 1) allow up to an 8(?) tooth difference in
tooth count accommodating the rear wheel sliding forward and back without
messing with the brake alignment. Thus, I do not believe a set-up like I
have on mine (White Industries duo 19/16 ss cog, 32/40 chain rings) is
possible on other frames. It is easy to get lost in the details of SS
gearing.

Have you ridden SS? If you have, then you've already learned a lot about
the feel of riding one. If not, try a "poser SS" with your current geared
bike. Figure out a gear that you think is what you want in SS and ride it
for a month without shifting out of that gear.

Based on my own experience with SS over the last few years riding in the
Colorado mountains, I would not set up a SS bike with less spread than I
have (which equals the spread of a 3-spreed IGH). Basically, I can cover
90% of my terrain with my 40/16 gear and the remaining bits I could easily
walk. For shorter rides, I can cover 100% of the terrain with my high gear,
for longer rides like my century yesterday, I stay more aerobic, so switch
sooner to my lower gear.

Also, always remember every bike come with an LCG (lowest common gear), aka
hike-a-bike. Thus even a single SS has two gears. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick