I've run my Quickbeam and another singelspeed with fixed Dingle cogs for
many years, but they're both set up as single-gear fixed now. I will put my
Quickbeam back into dingle mode soon - I switched cranks to an old Shimano
600, and it sits too close to the BB shell to allow an inner ring.
The QB came with 40/32 rings and an 18t freewheel. The long track end
allows for that 8 tooth spread. I don't recall having an issue with the
brake shoes, but I wouldn't rule it out. I used the stock rings with a 15t
fixed cog, and then with a 17/21 Surly dingle cog. Most recently I used a
39/44 road double with the 17/21. I simply replaced the 52 tooth ring from
a normal road double.

I like the two gears to be on the same side of the bike, because gear
changes then are literally a 15 second affair.
I really like quick releases for fixed gears. The lock the wheel better,
and you never forget your tool. Dingle setups with quick releases are easy:
Loosen the QR, slide the wheel forward to slacken the chain, lightly clamp
the QR, and derail the chain onto the new gear. Roll the bike forward to
get the chain around both the cog and the ring, then slide the wheel back
to tighten the chain, clamp the QR for real, and ride away.

Crossover gears are probably fine with a nine speed chain, but I don't
recall ever doing that. The chain length is more of an issue there. You
might not have the dropout length to accommodate the change in axle
position. e.g.: 44+17=61, and 39+21=60 so one tooth difference is about
1/4" of axle movement backwards. 44+21=65, so 4 teeth difference is 1" of
movement forwards. So even if you have a 1 1/4" dropout length, your
favorite gear might not put the axle at the right spot to use the whole
thing.

Here's my old write-up about how another list member geared his
Quickbeam:
http://www.biketinker.com/2010/bike-resources/multi-speed-fixed-quickbeam/

Philip
www.biketinker.com