MTB and Road front derailleurs have different cable pull standards.  But,
if you're using thumb shifters (or downtube shifters, or bar-ends), then
the difference is just a matter of lever throw.  Either FD can work fine
with friction shifting.

Chain suck is usually a problem with interference with the back of the next
bigger chainring.  So, it's either the chain's fault, or the chain rings.
This may be solved by a bottom bracket with a longer spindle.  Have your
shop measure the chain line to find out.

Chain falling off the outside of the big ring means your "High" limit screw
on the FD needs to be screwed in a bit further.