Leif, The levers I have are Tekto RX 4.1. The cable pull for canti brakes is
the same as sidepull, you can use them for both, just as plain road levers also
work fine with canti brakes. My canti brakes are the common Shimano BR-M732,
BR-MC70, and Sun Tour XC Pro. The ST are decidely low profile type and the
Shimanos are medium profile.

Cable pull has not changed for all but the most recent Shimano shifter/brake
combos. Those are different, but all "regular" sidepull brakes can use any
"regular" lever. Regular in the sense of referring to what has been around for
decades.

As for the Tektro levers you tried, an exact model number would be helpful
since I am not sure if you are referring to road or mtb levers.

Any more questions are welcomed !