Regarding chain suck/dislodging: I think it's a subtle fd adjustment
problem. From the photo, you may not be able to drop the fd, but if you
can, it looks as if there is room to do so, and this might make shifting
more precise. Second, and I think even more important, the proper fore/aft
angle of the cage around the seat tube will minimize overthrow (to coin a
new meaning if not a new word). Most of my chain
dropping/overshift/undershift problems have been cured by getting this
angle right (leaving out my early ignorance of the reality that not all
cranks take the same length bb spindle).

A front triple ought to work just fine with this crank; after all, it works
fine with the same crank when you have the 3d ring on it. When I switched
my Fargo from a 3X7 to a 2X9, I simply swapped the outer ring for a guard,
bumped the middle ring from 36 to 38, adjusted the outer limit screw, and
went riding. I didn't even lower the fd on the seat tube. It worked fine --
which I expected, since it worked fine before.

XD2, LX bottom pull, same bb spindle, no change to chainline (after all,
the middle ring was -- in the middle).

I did have chain drop and suck problems while it was a triple, but after a
catastrophic incident (bent middle ring at 45*), I took it to a shop: they
adjusted the fd and put on a chain catcher, but after this adjustment I
apparently didn't need the chain catcher, since the problem disappeared. It
was with the FD in this same position the shop put it in that I left it
when switching to a double setup -- the weird looking height of the fd
seemed to make no difference at all to performance.