(I don't know you name): I've used enough of Avid's different BB7 models to
know that even one-sided (only one pad is moved) mechanical discs can be
set up to provide outstanding and consistent power with little problem from
rotor rub (I do find that, when the pads are contaminated, as when they are
wet, or after riding through 1/4 mile of 3" sand, I might hear a few
"whiff-whiff-whiffs" until the environment returns to more normal).

I have been very pleasantly surprised at the performance of Avid's current
Road BB7. Using stock Shimano aero levers, I can set the pads comfortably
far from the rotors, get solid braking, yet preserve that "solid" lever
feel that I never got with the Mountain version of the BB7 and both Tektro
and Cane Creek V brake levers. In fact, I could easily release my pads even
more, for more lever travel, and still have all the qualities described.

Secrets to setup: most important, learning that while lever travel is
linear, actuation arm travel increases with pull, so that you must clamp
your arm to your cable until the arm has moved 25-30% through its arc.
Also: I switched from generic housing to Jagwire; perhaps this helped too,
though I've not isolated the arm attachment from the different housing.

At any rate, while I'd probably buy -- Spyres? -- the model that actuates
both pads, if I were to do this again, the current BB7 Roads are impeccable.

Patrick Moore