The water method works if you follow specific directions that Lon Haldeman
has written. Technically this method is simple leather wet forming and if
done properly, it should stretch out the leather very much - it's just
making a form to your backside by wet forming. The key is to make sure it
is absolutely dry before riding it again. I've done it with a couple  of my
B17 standards that were a little stubborn in breaking in and was pleased
with the results, though getting miles in would eventually do the same
thing.
One thing to note is that this method will likely change the overall color
of the saddle. My honey brooks got darker, not as dark as the brown brooks
- this also would occur through use, but the water method speeds the worn
in color faster as well.
I'd really only recommend this method if you're impatient, like me - I had
a bike with a new saddle that I was taking on a trip and wanted to make
sure the saddle was broken in. The water method (if followed correctly)
shouldn't do anything different than a few hundred miles of riding would do.
David
River Grove